Presurgical Bariatric Evaluation:
Another Form of Prejudice?
3 CE Credits/Hours - Online Course - $29.00
Developed by Sally Singer Horwatt, Ph.D.
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Save time & money with our Online Packages.
1. Sign up securely online.
2. Read/listen to articles & audios.
3. Submit evaluation & post-test.
4. Print your certificate.
To order this Course now
GENERAL COURSE DESCRIPTION
Obesity has become the problem about which it's okay to laugh, sneer, psychoanalyze or moralize. Unlike most other serious medical problems for which surgery is required, the surgical treatment of morbid obesity requires a pre-surgical psychological evaluation. For these reasons it behooves the practitioner to be aware of the evidence-based data about the problem of obesity and its psychological correlates in order to design evaluations which are helpful to the patient and do not further compromise his self-esteem.
This is an intermediate level course which will educate the practitioner about the evaluations which are most useful for the candidate for bariatric surgery. An interview with Dr. Sally Singer Horwatt introduces some of the issues that are currently being debated in the sciences associated with the study and management of obesity. In addition, eight articles are provided to cover the subject. The first set of materials presents facts and fictions about morbid obesity and weight loss surgery. The second set of materials reviews the different surgical options for the treatment of serious obesity. These options are illustrated on video in the Resources, References and Updates article. The third set of materials provides tips for designing the ideal presurgical evaluation. Finally, resources, references and updates are outlined in the last article.
Related online course on Obesity: Discovering and Treating the Thin Within for 12 CE credits
This course will teach the participant to
- Consider the biases held about those who are morbidly obese.
- Differentiate three kinds of bariatric surgery.
- Summarize the recent literature on the psychological correlates and prognostic indicators of serious obesity.
- Surgical Treatment of Obesity: Facts and Fiction
- Rationale for the Surgical Treatment of Morbid Obesity
- Types of Surgical Procedures to Combat Obesity
- Laparoscopic V Band or Vertical Gastroplasty
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass with Roux en Y
- Laparoscopic Placement of the LapBandTM
- Eligibility Criteria for Surgical Options
- Pre-surgical Evaluation
- Tools and Tests
- Ethics of Assessment
- Conflict of Interest
- Scope of Practice
- Resources, References, and Updates for Clinicians and Patients
To order this Course now