Consultations for Psychotherapists, Counselors
& Other Mental Health Professionals
On Ethical and Clinical Issues
By Ofer Zur, Ph.D.
Director, Zur Institute, Sebastopol, CA
To inquire further about Dr. Zur's consultations, email us at info@ZurInstitute.com
For Expert Witness Services & Consultations with Attorneys, click here
As psychotherapists and counselors, we often face complex ethical and clinical challenges. Consulting with an expert can help you in the following ways:
- It can help you make informed ethical and clinical decisions.
- It can help you think more broadly and more creatively, thus aiding you in making a thorough risk-benefit analysis.
- It is likely to help protect you against false accusations by disgruntled clients and licensing boards.
- It can help in your defense against clients who file malpractice suits against you.
- It can identify the standard of care that is applied to your specific situation. (Remember, the standard of care cannot be simply read in a textbook; it is often defined by opposing experts, in courts.)
Ofer Zur, Ph.D. is an experienced ethics, clinical and forensic consultant. He has been teaching Ethics at the graduate and post-graduate levels for over 20 years, and he has published extensively in the area of standard of care as it pertain to issues such as confidentiality, record keeping, scope of practice, diagnosis, treatment and the broad area of therapeutic boundaries. He has been director of the Zur Institute for almost 20 years, and he has been consulting with psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, counselors and attorneys on issues of boundaries and the standard of care regarding licensing board complaints, personal injury and medical malpractice cases.
Summary Of Dr. Zur's Unique And Outstanding Qualifications:
- He has trained thousands of psychotherapists in his ethics classes and workshops at graduate and post-graduate levels for over twenty years.
- He has been the champion of the fight against managed care abuses and a champion of Managed-Care-Free Private Practice. His Private Practice Kit has been revised numerous times since he started teaching Private Practice workshops in 1988.
- He co-edited the landmark book, Dual Relationships and Psychotherapy, published by Springer Pub. in 2002.
- In 2003 he authored the breakthrough best seller, The HIPAA Compliance Kit, distributed by W. W. Norton.
- His online continuing education program has more than 140 courses and is approved by American Psychological Association (APA), California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS), National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC), Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) and other accrediting bodies. For more information, click here.
- His online Certificate Program in Advanced Ethics Studies in Psychotherapy is probably the most comprehensive program on the ethics and law of psychotherapy and counseling.
- His latest book, Boundaries In Psychotherapy, is the most comprehensive book on therapeutic boundaries to date, published in 2007 by American Psychological Association, APA Books.
- Dr. Zur is a renowned expert in the area of standard of care and therapeutic boundaries and is one of the most prolific writers on the topics of dual relationships, sexual and non-sexual touch in therapy, self-disclosure, gifts, bartering, fees, telehealth, etc. Many of his publications are available online.
- His work has been instrumental in changing the professional attitudes and understanding of the importance of flexibility and therapeutic context in legal, ethical and clinical applications of multiple relationships and other psychotherapeutic boundaries.
- His writing has been a major factor in dispelling myths, such as the erroneous beliefs that dual relationships are inherently unethical, that multiple relationships and non-sexual touch inevitably lead to sexual relationships and that clinically appropriate boundary crossings lead to illegal and unethical boundary violations.
- He has been one of the most outspoken critics of the application of rigid risk-management practices, which are often done at the expense of clinical integrity and quality patient care.
Dr. Zur's expert consultations include the following areas:
- Digital Ethics & TeleMental Health:
- E-Mail, texts, etc. between providers & patients
- Online postings
- Phone, chats and video-conferencing
- Social Medial
- Online confidentiality
- Negative postings & Digital harassment
- Therapists Googling or online searching clients
- TeleMental Health, Telehealth E-Counseling, Tele-Psychology
- Scope of Practice
- Standard of Care
- Duty to Warn
- Termination & Abandonment
- Suicide & Danger to Self
- Danger to Others
- Power and Undue Influence
- HIPAA Compliance
- Treatment of Borderline, PTSD, Major Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, Addiction, and Other Mental Disorders
- Dual relationships (social, business, etc.)
- Record Keeping
- Treatment Planning
- Conflict of Interest
- Risk Management
- Non-sexual Touch
- Fees & Bartering
- Self-Disclosure & Transparency
- Home Visits
- Therapy Outside the Office & Adventure Therapy
- Home Office
Dr. Zur brings a unique, non-dogmatic and creative approach to his consultations. His graduate teaching and broad clinical experience, combined with extensive research and professional publications, make him a most qualified authority on the clinical, ethical and legal aspects of standard of care of psychotherapy and counseling.
For Dr. Zur's C.V., click here.
For Dr. Zur's publications, click here.
To contact Dr. Zur, email or call his office at 707-922-6422.
For fees and registration, click here. [Please, note payments are due prior to consultations]
For consultation with the general public, click here.
Services For Therapists
Ethical Consultation For PsychotherapistsThis phone or in-person consultation will help you understand the ethical complexities involved in your situation and chart an ethical, clinically appropriate and defensible course of action. The consultation will help you understand the issues of standard of care and will point out the sections of the codes of ethics that are most relevant to your case.
Clinical Consultation For Psychotherapists
Bring in your most difficult cases; develop treatment plans; explore how to increase your effectiveness; and learn how to prevent burnout.
HIPAA Compliance Consultations
Individual Or Group, Phone Or In Person Consultation:
These consultations will provide you with:
- Understanding of HIPAA's basic facts and requirements.
- A simple step by step process towards HIPAA compliance.
- A down to earth, manageable approach to compliance.
- The HIPAA Forms will be given to you as part of the consultation, at NO EXTRA COST. Please, note that the entire HIPAA Compliance Kit is NOT included in the consultation fee.
HIPAA Compliance Kit can be purchased separately at HIPAA Kit. The Kit and Forms are available as instant download via the HIPAA Online Course offered for 8 CE credits.
Click here to review Dr. Zur's HIPAA Friendly web page.
Click here to set up a consultation and contact Dr. Zur via email.
Group sessions via conference calls or "bridges" are also available.
Click here to review Dr. Zur's upcoming live seminars on HIPAA compliance.
Build & Sustain A Managed-Care-Free Practice
This private practice consultation teaches psychotherapists how to market, manage and conduct effective therapy in a fee-for-service private practice. This is an individualized approach to management, marketing, and exploring the resources available in your own community, and creating a strategy on how to use them. Included free of charge with the consultation are the Private Practice Handbook, some of the clinical forms and brochures (which may also be found in our catalog). Click here for our online catalog. For free online articles on managed care free practices, go to the articles page. To arrange for Dr. Zur to lecture in YOUR AREA, click here.
Mediation Between Clients Or Patients And Their Psychotherapists Or Counselors
Sometimes therapists and clients do not see eye to eye on issues of money, appropriate treatment, use of certain techniques, such as touch, involvement in dual or multiple relationships, giving and receiving gifts, confidentiality and privacy, etc. This consultation is aimed to help therapists and clients reach an understanding of each other's position and arrive at a mutually agreed upon (non-legally binding) agreement.
Secrets Of Presenting A Successful Workshop
In this consultation Dr. Zur will demystify and introduce workshop leaders and administrators to the nitty gritty and seemingly endless details that are involved in putting together a workshop, seminar, or lecture series. It includes continuing education credit, marketing (brochures, ads, etc...), printing and mailing services, labels brokers, best dates, locations, and much more.
To arrange for Dr. Zur to lecture in YOUR AREA, click here.
For a list of workshops, seminars and lectures offered by Dr. Zur, click here.
Top of Page